History

The first church in this area and the oldest church in the Snowy West Monaro was built at Round Plain in 1870.

Round Plain lies between Cooma and Adaminaby and services are still held here four times a year.

The parish was run from Cooma which eventually supported two ministers, one of whom had old Jindabyne,
Berridale and Adaminaby as his ministry area.

The church in old Jindabyne was built in the old town and opened on the 7th November 1913, with the name St Andrew's.

Prior to that the church shared premises with the Anglican Church.

The old church was demolished when the dam was built as part of the Snowy Mountains Scheme.

In 1964 a new church was built in the "New Town", and was opened by the then Moderator.

Although the first church was opened in 1913 it wasn't until 1985 that Jindabyne had a resident minister.

The first minister was Rev Ray Hughes and his wife Rosemary.

He was followed by the Rev Steve Larkin and his wife Glynn.

In 1993 Pastor Grahame Abrahams moved to Jindabyne with his wife, Fran, where he served until July 2002.

Lay preachers and elders within the congregation maintained a faithful witness during the interregnum.

It was during this time that our mobile op-shop came into out lives. He was named Amos (Alpine Mobile Op Shop), and served not only in Jindabyne but also in Dalgety and Berridale, bringing good cheap wares to satisfied customers.

In February, 2004, Pastor Matthew McBurney arrived from Taree with his family, to take up this ministry.

In April 2010 Matthew's term of office was regretfully terminated due to the congregation's inability to raise his stipend

In May 2010 the Presbytery declared the parish to be a Small Congregation under the U.C's definition of this term.
Services continued using a mixture of church elders and material from Project Reconnect, an activity of the Mid-Lachlan Mission Area.


In the latter half of 2010 the Anglican Church of Berridale and the Snowy Mountains was also facing the loss of a minister, and serious discussionss took place between our two churches with the view of uniting in partnership, sharing a full-time minister between us.

As a result , and after full support from both the Anglican Bishop of Canberra, Stuart Robinson, and the Chairman of Canberra/Monaro Presbytery, Gordon Ramsay, and with help from both the Revs Carol Wagner and LLoyd Bennett, the Rev Owen Davies, sometime chaplain to the Australian Navy, was commissioned at a ceremony in the Memorial Hall in Jindabyne on December 11th

The partnership continued for two years, but the strain of merging two streams of worship and functioning as one body became too great, and the partnership was ended.
.

The arrival, in late 2010, of Beth Goldfinch, who announced that she was responding to God's call to minister to youth in the snowfields heightened the excitement of the partnering churches and led to Beth's commissioning as a youth chaplain in June of 2011. Beth stayed with us for a few months but then moved on, and has not been replaced.
Meanwhile local Salvation Army personnel join with us each winter and conduct a successful winter mission and soup kitchen.
They also are involved in the Perisher Chapel work.
At the end of 2013, after 3 year's work, The Rev. Owen Davies and Hazel, moved on, to a new calling in Canberra.
The Rev. Lloyd Bennett acted for 3 months as interim pastor, while we looked hard at whether we call a new minister, enter into team leadership, or adopt some other way of "doing church".



In late 2005 a garage and lean-to shed had been built too house AMOS, and the Op-Shop. Amos served us for 11 years, but in 2013 was sold to Yass baptist church Meanwhile the Op-Shop opens two days a week and still serves the community.

<

Amongst other things, op-shop profits support two children in Timor Leste (East Timor)

A parish office, partly funded by a donation from Killara-Lindfield UCA at the request of Rev Ivor Bailey, was dedicated.

Support for our activities has also come from congregations in South West Rocks and Kenthurst.

To commemorate the pioneers of the Uniting Church in Jindabyne, a garden of memories was prepared and planted.

Roses, shrubs and trees have been donated and planted by families wishing to honour their forebears.

The garden has flourished to the extent that some of the flowers that decorate the church each Sunday come from the garden.

In May 2006 the 40 years that have passed since the new church was built were celebated.

A commemorative booklet detailing salient events over the 40 years was prepared by Greta Jones, our longest serving member, and a special service was held..

In May 2007, 120 native shrubs were planted against the fence near the church to make a contribution towards climate control.

Return to Home Page

roundPlain

oldJindySt Andrews,
Old Jindabyne

St Andrews,
New Jindabyne

Jindy church
pastors

Previous Pastors


Matthew matt


Owen and HazelOwen and Hazel

ClergyClergy

Beth Beth
 op-shop store

Opshop


The garden of memories.

garden